Botox is a cosmetic injectable that improves the appearance of moderate to severe crow’s feet lines, frown lines and forehead lines between the eyebrows. It is used to treat some muscular conditions and removing wrinkles by paralyzing the muscles temporarily. Being made of neurotoxin, which is known as botulinum toxin, it is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum.
Botulinum toxin has been approved for these therapeutic applications:
- Blepharospasm (spasm of the eyelids).
- Canthal lines (crow’s feet).
- Chronic migraine.
- Glabellar lines (frown lines between the eyebrows).
- Hemifacial spasm.
- Idiopathic rotational cervical dystonia (severe neck and shoulder muscle spasms).
- Post-stroke upper limb spasticity.
- Severe primary axillary hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating).
- Strabismus (crossed eyes).