Treating hair loss
Hair loss has many treatments because it is caused by so many things. It is recommended that you treat hair loss early before it becomes too obvious.
Hair treatment may involve any of the following treatments.
Treatment without a prescription
- Laser devices: devices such as brushes, combs, or any other hand-held devices that emit laser light might enhance hair growth. These devices are classified as medical devices that do not undergo rigorous testing as medicines, and they make your hair appear younger than they should.
- Minoxidil: This is very effective and is applied to the scalp to stimulate hair growth on the scalp and to stop hairs from getting thinner. Minoxidil is an approved hair regrowth product for men and women. Dermatologists combine it with other treatment options to be more effective.
Book an appointment with our dermatologists London in order to get a suitable treatment option for your hair loss condition.
- Finasteride: This medicine is approved for treating men with hair loss. This medicine is in pill form, and it can reduce hair loss up to about 88% in men. It can also stimulate hair re-growth up to about 66% in men.
- Corticosteroid: this medicine is injected in the scalp to treat hair loss that is caused by inflammation. A corticosteroid differs from an anabolic steroid; it helps to stop the inflammation as in alopecia areata.
The severity of hair loss can determine the type of procedure that a dermatologist will recommend for treatment of hair loss. Your dermatologist London may use one or more of the following procedures to achieve the best results:
- Scalp reduction: this is the surgical removal of the bald scalp, replacing it with hair-bearing scalp to reduce balding. This surgery can be done alone or with a hair transplant.
- Hair transplantation: this surgical procedure removes the skin on the scalp that has good hair growth and transplant to areas of the scalp that need hair.
- Scalp expansion: this procedure is done before a scalp reduction to make the scalp more relax. The dermatologist inserts some devices under the scalp leaving them there for about 3 to 4 weeks to stretch the skin. This process can be done to stretch hair-bearing areas on the scalp, which reduces balding.
- Scalp flaps: this is a procedure in which the hair-bearing segment of scalp is moved surgically and placed where the hair is needed.
When the cause of hair loss is diagnosed and treated appropriately, your dermatologist can tell you what to expect. Treatment restores hair loss, but some hair loss does not need treatment, they regrow on their own. Making some changes to your diet can stop the hair loss, allowing your hair to regrow on their own.