Signs and symptoms of hidradenitis suppurativa
If you are experiencing this skin condition, you may notice breakouts on your skin that looks like boils or pimples. However, unlike the normal pimples, hidradenitis suppurativa occurs in the following areas:
- Underarms (either one or both)
- Upper thighs
- Groin( genitals, the anus, and other surrounding areas)
- Womenâ€™s breasts (underneath the breasts, and sometimes on the breasts)
Some other rare cases may include
- Near the ear
- Around the bellybutton
- The face
- And the back.
Most women develop this skin condition in their genitals and upper thighs, while men are most likely to have hidradenitis suppurativa on their genitals and sometimes, around the anus.
More so, while some people may develop breakouts in the same spot each time, for some other people the breakouts may appear in the same area, but not on the same spot.
Early signs and symptoms of hidradenitis suppurativa
The early signs of hidradenitis suppurativa may include the following:
- Breakouts that look like pimples or boils. These breakouts may be several, or just one.
- Sometimes the breakouts may clear and reappear on the skin.
Latersigns and symptoms of hidradenitis suppurativa
Without immediate treatment, the skin condition may worsen. Thus, if this disease deteriorates, the following ensues:
- Serious infection of the skin
- Breakout will rupture, and leak a foul-smelling fluid
- Scars are formed and may become thicker with time
- The affected area begins to look spongy, as tunnel-like tracts form deep into the skin.
- May lead to skin cancer, but in rare cases.
- Although the breakouts may heal and reappear, it will become more painful than before
It is important to note that HS signs and symptoms can easily appear and reappear, and change fast. For example, a person with foul-smelling fluid from breakouts can easily notice fewer breakouts after some days.
Hidradenitis suppurativa and skin cancer risk
Although there are rare cases of skin cancer that are related to HS, some studies have shown that few people have developed squamous cell carcinoma, a common type of skin cancer that develops in areas where they had HS breakouts and scarring. This is often known to occur in men with long-standing HS on their anus, or around their genitals. Timely treatment can help to prevent long-standing HS and other health complications.