WHAT IS ROSACEA?
Rosacea (pronounced as rose-AY-sha) is a common skin disorder that is caused by the enlargement of some facial blood vessels causing the cheeks & nose to appear flushed. This usually begins with the tendency for the skin to flush or blush in many people.
Redness often spread slowly beyond the nose & the cheeks to the chin and the forehead, sometimes extending to the ears, chest and the back.
There are four subtypes of Rosacea which are categorised based on the signs and symptoms. The subtypes of rosacea are:
- Ocular rosacea: Red and irritated eyes, swollen eyelids
- Phymatous rosacea: Thickened skin with a bumpy texture
- Erythematotelangiectatic rosacea: Redness, flushing, visible blood vessels.
- Papulopustular rosacea: Redness, acne-like breakouts and swelling.
Rosacea often leaves permanent redness in the centre of the face
Celebrities Who Have Rosacea
Some celebrities have been known to struggle with rosacea:
- Bill Clinton
- W.C. Fields (a film star in the 1920s and 1930s)
- Diana, Princess of Wales