Causes of hidradenitissuppurativa
Nobody is completely sure about what causes HS. Even though it usually occurs after puberty, hormones and immune system may likely play a role as well, especially when the affected person‚Äôs immune system overreacts to certain changes.
Asides that, hidradenitissuppurativa occurs when hair follicles in armpit, anus and other commonly affected areas get blocked. You are more likely to get the first symptoms in your 20s or your teens.
Some individual habits and lifestyles like smoking and overweight also play a significant role. These things may not necessarily cause HS, but can make an individual susceptible to getting HS for the first time, or worsen the existing condition.
Like earlier discussed, there isno exact cause forhidradenitissuppurativa for sure; scientists and dermatologists have been able to establish the following facts:
- Poor hygiene does not necessarily cause hidradenitissuppurativa
- It is not contagious
- About 30% of people with HS have blood relatives with HS
Who can easily get hidradenitissuppurativa?
Hidradenitissuppurativa is often common among the following people;
- Overweight and obese people
- More common among women, than men
- Will most likely occur during puberty
- Taking some certain type of medicines like lithium
- Individuals with severe acne, arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, and sometimes diabetes.
More so, getting HS after 55 years of age or after menopause is rare for women.